By Lenny C. Lepola email@example.com
June 4, 2014
Members of the Big Walnut Local School District honored their own at a reception hosted by Roush Honda at Big Walnut High School on Thursday, May 8, immediately preceding the Big Walnut Board of Education meeting. Recognized during the reception were the 2013-14 school year recipients of the Roush Honda/Eagle Mentor Award.
Roush Honda/Eagle Mentor Award recipients are selected through a nomination process that began in March of this year. School administrators, staff members and area residents were asked to nominate individuals they believe have made a positive impact in the life of Big Walnut students.
Criteria included involvement, support and communication for the school building and community; impacting the lives of children in a positive manner; and promoting the welfare of children at home, school or community.
A panel of volunteers and staff selected the final honorees.
Present for the ceremony were four Roush Honda employees, with Kandy LaZarrus serving as spokesperson.
Following additional opening remarks by district superintendent Steve Mazzi, Mazzi and Big Walnut Assistant Superintendent Angie Pollock alternated introducing each award recipients.
Those recognized are:
* Sharon Stahlman, nominated by Karen Snyder, is a Big Walnut Elementary School third grade teacher.
* Megan Truax, nominated by Joey Thompson, is the school district’s nurse.
* Kara Wampler, nominated by Maria Tarney, is an aide at Hylen Souders Elementary School.
* Pat O’Quinn, nominated by Ron McClure and Kathy Longshore, is the school district’s head mechanic.
* Maggie Pharazyn, nominated by Susan Walaszek, is a General Rosecrans Elementary School fourth grade teacher.
* Chris Rockwell, nominated by Mindy Meyer and Steve Mazzi, is an active community member with four children in the district.
* Diana Inscho, nominated by Megan Wion and Jen Nieset, is the building secretary at Big Walnut Elementary.
* Mary Candelaria, nominated by Nancy Johnston, is a teaching assistant in the MD unit at Big Walnut Intermediate School.
* Kathy Dawson, nominated by Rhonda Corven, is a teacher in the math department at Big Walnut High School.
* Kelly Robinson, nominated by Mindy Meyer, is a history teacher at Big Walnut Middle School.
* Tawnie Antill, nominated by Natalia Daw, is a food service employee at Hylen Souders Elementary School.
* Rob Firchau, nominated by Becky Jaeger, is a fifth grade teacher at Big Walnut Intermediate School.
* Mark Kern, nominated by Allison Fagan, is the district’s School Resource Officer.
* Valeria Pederson, nominated by Andy Wecker and Nicci Scanlan Hess, is a former BW graduate, taught English at BW, was the swim coach, and has served for many years on the board of the Big Walnut Education Foundation.
* The Children’s Department Staff at the Community Library (Fonda Kendrick, Jenni Lieurance and Rachel Coffield), nominated by Liana Lee, a team of three outstanding community members working toward one goal of helping to educate and inspire Big Walnut students.
* Todd Yarrington, nominated by Rich Zumpone, Jeremy McCaulla and Andy Wecker, has served as president for the Big Walnut Soccer Association (BWSA) for the past six years, and as a BWSA Board member for the past 15 years.