BBB encourages consumers to check out small, local and independent businesses. BBB offers the following tips when you “shop small”:
- Get involved. Find out what local events are happening in your area by checking with your local chamber or merchants’ association.
- Do your research. Check out businesses ahead of time and find out what past customers have to say at bbb.org. Find out what stores and businesses area in your area by going to shopsmall.org.
- Sign-up for email alerts. Many stores have specials just for people who have signed up to receive their emails.
- Check social media. Many small businesses will advertise their sales via social media, so be sure to check your favorite small businesses on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. Use #ShopSmall to search for information or to share plans with your friends.
- Invite your friends and family. Turn this shopping event into a family/friend extravaganza! Visit your favorite local stores, try some new ones, get a head start on the holidays and enjoy time with loved ones.
- Ask for gift receipts and save warranty information. A gift receipt can be tucked into a gift item or card so that the recipient can return or exchange a gift if it’s not just right. Be sure to pass along any information about returns, exchanges, repairs, and warranties to the person who will use the item.
- Share your experience with us! Take a selfie at your favorite small business. Share it on social media with the hashtags #BBB and #ShopSmall and tell the world why you love small businesses.
For more information, follow your BBB on Facebook, Twitter, and at bbb.org
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU