Columbus, OH – BBB is warning the Central Ohio community of a new phone scam that has been sweeping the country, with callers asking “Can You Hear Me?”
Starting just before the weekend, reports have flooded in to BBB’s Scam Tracker about a new phone scam. One Central Ohio consumer reported receiving a call regarding a back brace, with the caller asking “Can you hear me?” The point of the scam is to get the consumer to respond “yes” so their affirmative answer can be recorded and used as verification to sign up for credit cards, subscriptions or other products. Nationwide, BBB scam reports state that these scam calls claim to be from a variety of businesses and even government agencies.
According to consumer reports, there are a few ways scammers might try to get you to say “yes”, with questions such as:
- Are you the homeowner?
- Are you over 18?
- Do you pay the household bills?
- Do you have a home computer?
How to Protect Yourself:
- When in doubt, it may be better to not answer numbers you do not recognize. If it’s a legitimate contact, they will leave a voice message. Even if a scammer leaves a message, this will give you time to think about what is being asked of you.
- If you do start to answer and are asked many questions that seem to be fishing for a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer, do not respond and hang up immediately.
- For this scam, and all others, do not give out personal identifying information over the phone when you are not sure of the caller.
- If you believe you may have fallen for this scam, contact your bank and credit card companies to flag your accounts. Check your account daily – the earlier you identify unauthorized charges on your accounts, the easier it will be to recover any lost money.
- Write down the phone number of those callers violating the Do Not Call Registry and file a scam report with BBB Scam Tracker and the FTC’s Do Not Call List.
If you have questions or concerns about this or any other scam, call your BBB at 614-486-6336.
For more information on finding businesses you can trust, follow your BBB on Facebook, Twitter, and at bbb.org.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU