‘Click It’ campaign kicks off


Staff Report



Delaware County law enforcement and the Delaware General Health District’s Safe Communities Coalition want to remind motorist to buckle up as they take to the roads to celebrate the long Memorial Day weekend.

Law enforcement officials across the county will be ensuring that everyone buckles up as part of the national Click It or Ticket mobilization that runs May 22 through June 4.

The kick-off event is Thursday May 25 at 10 a.m. Orange Township Hall 1680 E. Orange Road Lewis Center, Ohio. This year’s Click It or Ticket campaign will include a message from Theresa Tammy Gaser, LISW who is a certified trauma specialist. Gaser owns Trinity Family Counseling and works with a lot of children and adults who have had medical trauma stemming from car crashes.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly half of the 22,441 passenger vehicle occupants killed in crashes in 2015 were unrestrained. At night from 6 p.m. to 5:59 a.m., that number soared to 57 percent of those killed.

The national seat belt use rate is currently at 88.5 percent, according to NHTSA’s 2015 data. The Click It or Ticket campaign is for the remaining 11.5 percent — some 37 million people who still do not buckle up.

Almost twice as many males were killed in crashes a s compared to females, with lower belt use rates, too. Of the males killed in crashes in 2015, more than half (52%) were unrestrained. For females killed in crashes, 42 percent were not buckled up.

Thousands of lives could be saved each year if every person was properly restrained on the road. Safe Communities coalition members along with representatives with several local law enforcement agencies, fire departments and safety organizations will also be present at the kick-off event.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2017/05/web1_click-it.jpg

Staff Report

Information for this story was provided by DGHD.

Information for this story was provided by DGHD.