- Mammals of Ohio at Burr Oak State Park – Join the naturalist at Burr Oak State Park on Friday, Oct. 27, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. for a close up look at common Ohio mammals by examining their furs and skulls. This will be held in the lodge lobby.
- ROAR Day at Lake Hope State Park – Join us for Rural Ohio Appalachia Revisited (ROAR) Day! Celebrate Appalachian culture through crafts, music, food and fun during the ROAR Day at Lake Hope State Park on Saturday, Oct. 28, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Celebrate Appalachian Halloween, too!
- Venison Chili Cook Off at Findley State Park – Calling all cooks! Join us at the campground pavilion for this contest at Findley State Park on Saturday, Oct. 28, at 1 p.m. Participants must pre-register for park provided venison. Chili will be judged for prizes and enjoyed by other contestants and on-lookers. Call the park office at 440-647-5749, ext. 100 or 102 for more information. Trick-or-treat will be an additional activity.
- Halloween Spooktacular at Burr Oak State Park – Join us at Burr Oak State Park on Saturday, Oct. 28, for a fun-filled evening with a Halloween theme! Meet at the lodge shelter house from 5-7 p.m. for pumpkin carving, crafts for kids, a nature scavenger hunt and more. At 7 p.m., people should meet at the lodge boat ramp for the ‘spooktacular’ night hike led by the naturalist, which will focus on animals associated with Halloween. Meet at the fire ring near the lodge shelter house at 8:30 p.m. for a campfire and s’mores. Call 740-767-2981 for more information.
- Un-haunted Forest at Shawnee State Park – Bring the family on this guided walk lit by lanterns to learn more about creatures of the night on an easy half-mile loop trail, which includes costumed animal characters telling their stories, marshmallow roasting, music around the campfire, birds of prey and much more. This event will be held on Saturday, Oct. 28, at 6 p.m. at the nature center at Shawnee State Park.
To learn more about family-friendly events at Ohio’s state parks and state nature preserves, go to parks.ohiodnr.gov/calendar or naturepreserves.ohiodnr.gov/calendar.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU