On Sunday, Oct 13th, Lenny Lepola will be honored by the Big Walnut Area Historical Society at a brief presentation at the Myers Inn Museum as part of the Sunbury Fall Heritage Festival.
Mark your calendars for spooky fun!
Sunbury’s Trick-or-Treat is 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31.
Galena Halloween is October 31. Journey Fellowship Open House 5-7:30 p.m., 70 N. Walnut St. Free Dinner, Photo Booth, & Make & Take Kids Craft. Beggar’s Night is 6-7:15 p.m. Costume Contest is 7:30 p.m. – Village Hall.
Westerville’s Trick-or-Treat will take place from 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The Westerville Divisions of Police and Fire will be out in the community to hand out candy and encourage a safe celebration.
October is Bullying Prevention Month
Big Walnut Middle School will include daily messages from the announcements to participate in Say Something Week. We reinforce the power young people have to prevent tragedies and save lives when they Say Something to a trusted adult. The Advisory Lesson on October 27th will also focus on being an Upstander, not a Bystander to support all students at our School.
The FDA just approved the promising CAR-T therapy for adults with advanced lymphomas. The first-of-its-kind therapy uses a patient’s own immune cells to fight cancer and early tests show remarkable results. T-cells (a subtype of white blood cells) are taken from patients in a blood draw, frozen and sent to a lab to be “revved up” and multiplied.
This breakthrough cancer treatment gives hope to patients who may otherwise be out of options. Tonight’s announcement follows approval for the use in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) which happened on July 12, 2017.
This breakthrough treatment will only be available at a handful of institutions in the country. Regionally, the closest option for many patients is likely to be The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center.
SR 37 between Burnt Pond Rd. & Tyler Rd. will reopen at 3 p.m. Oct. 27. The closure was for culvert replacement.
Preservation Parks briefs
• Saturday, October 28, 8 a.m. Fall Bird Walk. Every Season brings us something new in the world of birds. Bird lovers are encouraged to join a naturalist on this early morning hike. All skill levels are welcome, and loaner binoculars will be provided as needed. Free, ages 7+. Deer Haven Park, 4183 Liberty Road, Delaware.
• Sunday, October 29, 1 p.m. Limited Mobility Hike. Bring your binoculars and join us for a leisurely half-mile nature stroll to the pond. Those that wish can continue on the 0.6-mile loop trail with the naturalist to check out other habitats in the park. All abilities welcome. Emily Traphagen Park, 5094 Seldom Seen Road, Powell.
• Saturday, November 4, 1 p.m. Hogback Ridge Primitive Hike. Explore a primitive hike along a Hogback Ridge trail that connects to Alum Creek State Park. Hogback Ridge Park, 2656 Hogback Road, Sunbury.
• Saturday, November 4, 4:30 p.m. Chili Cook Off. Whether you have the best recipe, or you just want to enjoy a variety of delicious chilies, Preservation Parks invites you to their first ever Chili Cook Off. To register, visit the website, click on Nov. 4 and follow the RSVP instructions. The price is $5 to enter a chili, or just to eat. Shale Hollow Park, 6320 Artesian Run, Lewis Center.
Chamber Event Choices
2017 ANNUAL DINNER & AWARDS CEREMONY @ NORTHSTAR GOLF CLUB! (THURSDAY, 11/9/17, 6:30 – 9PM – SILENT AUCTION BENEFITING BW FRIENDS WHO SHARE & THE SUNBURY HOUSE; FESTIVE TABLE DECORATIONS AS WELL!) CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE EVENT PAGE FOR MORE INFO & TO REGISTER FOR A TABLE. We are NOW accepting items for the Silent Auction, including Table Decorations – contact the Chamber office!
CHRISTMAS ON THE SQUARE 2017!! (SATURDAY, 12/2/17, 4 – 8 PM, SUNBURY SQUARE – A GREAT EVENING OF FAMILY HOLIDAY FUN!) CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE EVENT PAGE FOR LIST & TIMES OF FESTIVITIES AS WELL AS REGISTRATION INFO. – CONSIDER SPONSORING THIS GREAT COMMUNITY EVENT! EXCELLENT EXPOSURE!
* COMMUNITY EUCHRE GAME! (LAST SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH @ CONDIT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 15102 HARTFORD ROAD, SUNBURY – BEGINNERS WELCOME!!) CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE EVENT PAGE FOR MORE INFO!
* HOLIDAY COAT DRIVE – (RUNS NOW THROUGH THE 1ST OF THE YEAR – DROP COATS AT SUNBURY CLEANERS M-FRI 7AM – 7 PM & SAT., 8 AM – 3 PM) CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE EVENT PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
* 2017 HEALTH & WELLNESS EXPO SPONSORED BY SOURCEPOINT! (WED., 11/1/17, 3-6 PM @ SOURCEPOINT, 800 CHESIRE RED., DELAWARE, OH) ADMISSION IS FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Click link below for further info!
* FOOD DRIVE TO BENEFIT WARM! JOIN FELLOW MEMBER SUNBURY POINT DENTAL – 211 EAST GRANVILLE ST. IN SUNBURY – IN THE FIGHT AGAINST HUNGER! (DROP ITEMS THERE OR TWO OTHER LOCATIONS LISTED ON EVENT PAGE – BEGINS WEDS., 11/1/17 & RUNS THROUGH THURSDAY, 11/30/17) PLEASE CLICK LINK BELOW FOR FURTHER DETAILS REGARDING THIS WORTHY CAUSE.
* HOLIDAY BLANKET DRIVE – ORGANIZED BY TABLE ROCK CONSTRUCTION ON THE SQUARE – 28 EAST CHERRY ST.! (RUNS MONDAY, 11/6/17 – SATURDAY, 12/2/17) DROP NEW BLANKETS AT TABLE ROCK BETWEEN 8 AM – 5 PM, M-FRI AND AT CHRISTMAS ON THE SQUARE – SATURDAY, 12/2/17. Click on link below see event page for more details.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU