Each year, Big Walnut High School German language teacher Frau Georgia Craig and her students host a Maifest celebration, complete with sweet treats with a German flavor.
Following a brief Wilkommen by Craig, a student-run honors presentation was held.
Introduced were German club president Lili Ford, treasurers Gwendoline Wecker and Regina Goodrich, secretaries Gottfried Iezzi and Bettina Craig-Bowden, and steering committee members Arno Muhlbaier, Anne Tannner, Viktoria Sena and Schulz Ciallella.
To become a member of Delta Epsilon Phi, the German language honor society, students must maintain a 3.0 overall grade-point average, a 3.6 GPA in German, and participate in yearly German club community service activities.
New Delta Epsilon Phi members for 2015-16 are: Niko Amato, Nina Cummins, Lorenz Ford, Katja Germann, Regina Goodrich, Gregor Houser, Günther Iezzi, Else Kirkpatrick, Johann Loeffler, Axel McVeigh, Fritz Pryor, Anne-Liese Renner, Natascha Rockett, Laura Schnipke, Daniel Smith, Nicole Wappenstein and Reimond Williams.
Junior and senior Delta Epsilon Phi members are: Bettina Craig-Bowden, Jacob Crenshaw, Axel Cryan, Kristof Dunlap, Otto Kieffer-Jones, Heinz Krist, Kurt Kintz, Franz MacDonald, Kornelius Mengel, Arno Muhlbaier, Viktoria Sena, Marianne Byrne, Maria Hard, Annike Hager, Petra Heller, Gottfried Iezzi, Michael Paselsky, Liesel Pendley, Sven Schnabel, Olaf Sharlike, Viktor Trainer and Gwendoline Wecker.
Students who traveled to district elementary schools this spring to instruct students in basic German language skills are:
• Harrison Street — Gwendoline Wecker, Gottfried Iezzi, Güther Iezzi, Liesel Pendley, Annike Hager and Johann Loeffler.
• GRE — Sven Schnabel, Petra Heller, Marianne Byrne, Bettina Craig-Bowden, Franz MacDonald and Kornelius Mengel.
• Souders — Lili Ford and Otto Kieffer-Jones.
• BWE — Nicole Wappenstein, Dirk Ball, Viktoria Sena, Volker Schulz and Kirsten Grumbling.
German class helpers recognized by Craig were Lili Ford, Petra Heller and Dirk Ball.
Also recognized were Friendship Connection Exchange student hosts. Else Kirkpatrick hosted Jennifer Burk and Jule Arends; Otto Kieffer-Jones hosted Steven Müller and Adrian Dietrich; Bettina Craig-Bowden hosted Nina Götzinger; Gregor Houser hosted Paul Braica; and Katja Germann hosted Selena Ungerer and Anna Frank.
National German Achievement Test (percentiles) results were announced:
• Gold Award (90th percentile and above): Liesel Pendley, Marianne Byrnne, Annike Hager, Regina Goodrich, Niko Amato, Fritz Pryor. Silver Award (80th percentile and above): Kristof Dunlap, Heinz Krist, Klaus Crenshaw, Johann Loeffler, Axel Cryan, Arno Muhlbaier, Dirk Ball, Sebastian Bryant, Natascha Rockett, Laura Schnipke, Nina Cummins, Roland Wappenstein. Bronze Award (70th Percentile and above): Markus Paselsky, Sven Schnabel, Petra Heller, Viktor Trainer, Viktoria Sena, Kornelius Mengel, Bettina Craig-Bowden, Georg Foster, Katja Germann, Gregor Houser, Björn Kelly, Günther Iezzi and Anne-Liese Renner.
• Deutsch I Honor Roll (Grading periods 1,2,3 and midterm at least 3 A’s): Louise Bailey, Iris Dagget, Hans Drake, Bastian Hoppe, Monika Kaiser, Luther McFarling, Andrea Schulz, Bruno Segars, Maria Sena, Wolfgang Sipes, Anneliese Adair, Reinhard Anderson , Emil Charles, Gisela Cryan, Flora Hart, Sven Marvin, Natascha Pascal and Mira Rak.
• German Club Travel Scholarships, Friendship Connection: Katja Germann, Bettina Craig-Bowden and Otto Kieffer-Jones.
During the entertainment portion of the evening, Mira Rak played the ukulele and sang a Beatles tune in German. Nicole Wappenstein performed a song she wrote and played the guitar. And there was an abundance of German folk dancing.
The program concluded with videos of the German program.
Reporter Lenny C. Lepola can be reached at 614-266-6093
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU