75th Annual 4-H Banquet


By Lenny C. Lepola - newsguy@ee.net



About 4-H

4-H is an Ohio-grown product. 4-H began in Clark County, Ohio on January 15, 1902. Mr. Albert Belmont Graham, the superintendent of the Springfield Township Schools, held the first 4-H meeting with thirty boys and girls in the county courthouse basement. The first 4-H group was called the “Boy’s and Girl’s Agricultural Club.” By 1905, there were over 2,000 youth within sixteen counties in programs similar to the original Agricultural Club.

4-H organized in Delaware County in 1918. This year there were 54 4-H Clubs in the county served by 285 volunteers, and 1,095 club members carried 2,687 projects.

Area 4-H Club members, their families, and club advisors gathered at All Occasions in Waldo for the 75th Annual 4-H Volunteer and Member Recognition Banquet on Nov. 14.

Of note for eastern Delaware County 4-H Club members:

* A Silver pin was given to given to 5-year volunteer Lisa Thiergartner

* Gold pin to 10-year volunteer Tammy Cain

* 15-year Pearl, Jennie Beekman

* Ruby pin to 30-year volunteer Walter Morton

* Sapphire pin, 35-years, Sharon Souder

* Emerald Pin, 45 years, in Memory of Shirley Thurston

Other local volunteers with 20 years of service or more who were recognized are: Jim Hildreth and Charles St. Jean, 23 years; Debbie Manring, 24 years; Kathryn St. Jean, 27 years; Donna Morton and Suzanne Allen, 49 years; and William Thurston, 64 years.

Club Award went to Sunbury Halter & Saddle 4-H Club and JJ’s E-Z Riders

Local member recognition and awards went to:

* Community Service, Tyler Shuster, Sunbury Halter & Saddle 4-H Club

* Dairy, Kate Sherman, Eagle Country 4-H Club

* Dog, Sierra Cardi, Sunbury Halter & Saddle 4-H Club

* Olivia Cardi, Sunbury Halter & Saddle 4-H Club

* Horse, Aimee Dill, Successful Strides 4-H Club

* Horse, Lily Bauman, Sunbury Halter & Saddle 4-H Club

* Leadership, Jocie Cardi, Sunbury Halter & Saddle 4-H Club

The Jonard Family Scholarships were awarded to McKinley Roll and Mary Siekman.

The Delaware County Hall of Fame honored Bill Thurston and Beth Harp.

For additional information about 4-H in Delaware County log on to < delaware.osu.edu > or < ohio4H.org > and click on the 4-H Youth Development link.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2016/12/web1_4HBanquetSUBMITTED.jpg

By Lenny C. Lepola

newsguy@ee.net

About 4-H

4-H is an Ohio-grown product. 4-H began in Clark County, Ohio on January 15, 1902. Mr. Albert Belmont Graham, the superintendent of the Springfield Township Schools, held the first 4-H meeting with thirty boys and girls in the county courthouse basement. The first 4-H group was called the “Boy’s and Girl’s Agricultural Club.” By 1905, there were over 2,000 youth within sixteen counties in programs similar to the original Agricultural Club.

4-H organized in Delaware County in 1918. This year there were 54 4-H Clubs in the county served by 285 volunteers, and 1,095 club members carried 2,687 projects.

Reporter Lenny C. Lepola can be reached at 614-266-6093.

Reporter Lenny C. Lepola can be reached at 614-266-6093.