Outdoor movie Friday
A Family Fun Night with outdoor movie is hosted by Vineyard Church of Delaware County, 1001 West Cherry Street, Sunbury, Ohio. All families are welcome from 6-9 p.m. Oct. 20 to view Toy Story, enjoy food, crafts and fun. Please bring blankets and chairs to sit in the grass. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Have questions? Contact: Mara Jo Rummer @740-965-8888 ext.23 Vineyard Church.
Stay Gold wins 2nd
The 2017 Eagle Yearbook of Big Walnut High School has earned a 2nd place rating in the Ohio Scholastic Media Association Yearbook Contest. Yearbooks were evaluated on areas of theme, reader services, photography, writing, design, graphics, coverage, and leadership. The 2017 “Stay Gold” Yearbook was led by Editor-in-Chief, Caroline Gose; and advised by Mary Mitton-Sanchez.
Craft Shows start
The VFW Auxiliary Post 8736 Fall Craft Show is 9 a.m-2 p.m. Oct. 21. The post is at 435 McGill Street, Sunbury.
Circleville Pumpkin Show
One of the nation’s largest pumpkin festivals is the 111th Circleville Pumpkin Show, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. October 18-21, in Circleville (25 miles south of Columbus in Central Ohio). The Circleville Pumpkin Show attracts over 400,000 visitors to this small Midwest community of 13,000. Visitors come to see giant pumpkins, 7 parades, entertainment, contests and sample pumpkin-flavored delicacies. This show has been called “The Greatest Free Show on Earth” since admission is free. The Circleville Pumpkin Show kicks off with area pumpkin growers vying for the coveted Giant Pumpkin Trophy. The current Giant Pumpkin record at the Circleville Pumpkin Show holder was grown by Circleville’s Robert & Jo Liggett at 1,964 pounds.
Preservation Parks briefs
• Saturday, October 21, 10 a.m. Historical Corn. Come to Gallant Farm and learn about the history of this important plant and how its use and cultivation have changed through the years. Free, all ages. Gallant Farm, 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road, Delaware.
• Saturday, October 21, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and Sunday, October 22, noon-4 p.m. All Aboard for Railroad Fun. Visitors can watch model trains (in HO scale) travel through a miniature village, and can learn about the history of railroading in America. Sandel Legacy Trail, 168 S. Vernon Street, Sunbury. Free; all ages.
• Sunday, October 22, 1-4 p.m. Trick or Treat Trail. Come in costume to gather treats from characters along the spooky trail. Decorate pumpkins, enjoy a hayride, & vote for your favorite scarecrow. Free, all ages. Deer Haven Park, 4183 Liberty Road, Delaware.
• Monday, October 23, 6 p.m. Hound Hike. Bring your canine companion for a walk through beautiful Deer Haven Park with a naturalist. Dogs must be up to date on all shots and have county tags. Free; all ages. Deer Haven Park.
• Monday, October 23, 6:30 p.m. The State of Bird Conservation in Ohio. Join wildlife biologist Matthew Shumar as he talks about lessons that can be learned from the Second Atlas. Presented by the Delaware County Bird Club. Free; all ages. Deer Haven Park.
• Saturday, November 4, 4:30 p.m. Chili Cook Off. Whether you have the best recipe, or you just want to enjoy a variety of delicious chilies, Preservation Parks invites you to their first ever Chili Cook Off. Register by Oct. 22; visit the website, click on Nov. 4 and follow the RSVP instructions.
The price is $5 to enter a chili, or just to eat. Shale Hollow Park, 6320 Artesian Run, Lewis Center.
Mature Job Seekers’ Hiring Event, featuring RMS of Ohio
COLUMBUS, OH – Employment For Seniors, Inc. (EFS) announces a special hiring event on Friday, October 20, 2017 from 9:30 until 11:30 a.m.; welcoming the recruiting staff of RMS of Ohio to the EFS office location (4300 E. Broad Street, First Commonwealth Bank building).
Mature job seekers interested in learning more, or to register for this free hiring event, should contact the EFS office at 614/863-1219. RMS of Ohio provides supported living and adult day services to individuals with a range of physical and developmental disabilities.
BWHS Parent/Teacher Conferences
Just a reminder that the next parent/teacher conferences at BWHS will be on Thursday, October 26th from 4-7:30 p.m. Please call the main office at 740-965-3766 to schedule. That evening, we will be hosting a college and career readiness presentation at 6 p.m. and an illegal substance informational presentation at 7 p.m. Both presentations will be in the high school auditorium. We hope to see you all on the 26th!
From Polaris Fashion Place
BRIO Tuscan Grille National Pasta Month at Brio
BRIO Tuscan Grille locations across the nation are saying bravo to pasta in honor of National Pasta Month (October)! With its two-course pasta lunch and dinner combos, available through Sunday, Oct. 29, BRIO is pleased to celebrate with a select pasta dish, paired with a choice of soup or salad. Prices for the lunch combos start at $14.95; prices for the dinner combos start at $17.95.
Veterans Job Fair Columbus
RecruitMilitary and DAV will host a Veterans Job Fair on Thursday, November 2, 2017, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, 400 N. High Street, Columbus, OH 43215.
This is a free hiring event for veterans, transitioning military personnel, National Guard members, Reserve members and military spouses. RecruitMilitary has held 13 events in Columbus, drawing 2,503 attendees and 551 exhibitors.
Feel free to email us your announcements and upcoming events.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU