MINSTER — The federal government wants to fine an Auglaize County printing and packaging company $91,800 for safety and health violations.
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration proposed the fines for Globus Printing & Packaging Co. Inc. for 24 violations after receiving a complaint and inspecting the manufacturing plant in August 2013.
“Workers were exposed daily to many dangerous hazards at the Globus Printing & Packaging Co.,” said Kim Nelson, OSHA’s area director in Toledo. “The company lacks adequate employee training on those hazards.”
Thirteen serious safety violations were cited for issues, such as:
• Failing to provide electrical personal protective equipment for employees doing electrical work.
• Failing to remove damaged forklifts from service.
• Failing to maintain exit lighting and an employee alarm system.
Six health violations were cited, including:
• Failing to maintain an environment free of combustible dust.
• Not ensuring employees used eye and face protection.
• Failing to conduct and certify a personal protective equipment assessment.
• Lack of an eyewash station in the battery servicing area.
An OSHA violation is serious if death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard an employer knew or should have known exists. The company was also cited for five other-than-serious violations. An other-than-serious violation is one that has a direct relationship to job safety and health but probably would not cause death or serious physical harm.
Globus Printing & Packaging Co. employs 140 workers. The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
To ask questions, obtain compliance assistance, file a complaint, or report workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA’s toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency’s Toledo Area Office at 419-259-7542.