The first school in Harlem Township was constructed during the War of 1812; by 1849 there were nine sub-district schools in the township; by 1917 all the one-room schools in the township were closed and there was one central township school in Center Village; in 1952 the last class graduated from Harlem Township High School and Harlem Township became a part of the Big Walnut School District.
For 140 years, Harlem Township provided schools for its township residents. Now, just over 60 years after the last class graduated from Harlem High, there is almost no evidence that schools were ever a part of township history. The Harlem High School Alumni Association and Harlem Township Heritage plan to change this impression by creating a memorial to all the Harlem Township Schools in the Community Park in Center Village.
Funds will be raised for the memorial by selling engraved bricks and pavers to be used in its construction. The design of the memorial will be dependent on the amount of money raised; at a minimum the date plaque from the front of Harlem High School, the bell from the two prior schools in Center Village, and a plaque with information about the Harlem Township schools will be included.
Forms for purchasing the bricks and pavers are available on the Harlem Township website < harlemtwp.com >. The 4-inch by 8-inch bricks are $35 and 8-inch by 8-inch pavers are $75. Prices of both will increase January 1, 2015.
Engraving on the bricks/pavers can be names of Harlem (and Center Village) school alumni, including former township residents, names of current township residents; or bricks/pavers can honor those who attended the one room schools, teachers at any of the Harlem or Big Walnut schools, youth group leaders, township organizations, even our township settlers.
If you have questions about this project, please contact Vicki Tieche at 740-965-4535 or email < firstname.lastname@example.org >.