“Ready, Set, Wear It!” Promotes
Wearing Life Jackets While Boating
Ohio kicks off National Safe Boating Week May 20-26
COLUMBUS — As the boating season begins, wearing a life jacket is key to boating safely in the Buckeye State. Ohio will kick off National Safe Boating Week, May 20-26, by holding nine “Ready, Set, Wear It!” life jacket safety awareness events across the state, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).
“Don’t just have your life jacket close by when you are boating, wear it,” said Mike Bailey, chief of the ODNR Division of Parks and Watercraft. “If an accident occurs and you suddenly end up overboard, a life jacket will keep your head above water and could save your life.”
The eighth annual “Ready, Set, Wear It!” Life Jacket World Record Day will be held on Saturday, May 20. The goal is to educate the public about the importance of wearing life jackets and safe boating for all ages. Each event will also showcase the comfortable and versatile options available in today’s modern life jackets. This year, Ohio is offering nine events statewide.
- Central Ohio Safe Boating Council: Alum Creek State Park, Hollenback Boat Ramp; 4000 Hollenback Road, Lewis Center 43035; 10 a.m.
- Field & Stream and the ODNR Division of Parks and Watercraft: 1510 Polaris Parkway, Suite B, Columbus 43240; 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary: 2 Coast Guard Road, Grand River 44045; 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Ohio Clean Marinas Program/Ohio Sea Grant: Aquatic Visitors Center; 360 Bayview Avenue, Put-in-Bay 43456; 11 a.m.
- Lorain County Metro Parks: 47160 Hollstein Drive, Amherst 44001; 11 a.m.–noon
- Lake Metroparks: 7250 Alexander Road, Concord Township 44077; Noon
- Miami County Park District: Stillwater Prairie Reserve; 9750 State Route 185, Covington 45373; 12–5 p.m.
- The Josh Project and ODNR: St. Francis de Sales High School; 23232 W. Bancroft Street, Toledo 43606; 1 p.m.
- ODNR Division of Parks and Watercraft: Findley State Park; 25381 State Route 58, Wellington 44090; 1 p.m.
The National Safe Boating Council, in partnership with the Canadian Safe Boating Council, invite the boating community, the general public and the media to participate in “Ready, Set, Wear It!” on Saturday, May 20. Participating cities throughout Ohio, and around the globe, will gather to attempt to set a world record for the most life jackets worn and inflatable life jackets inflated.
Last year, 6,784 people gathered at more than 210 events held around the world, including Ohio, to set a new record for the number of participants who inflated their inflatable life jacket or wore an inherently buoyant life jacket. According to the National Safe Boating Council, Ohio had the third highest participation rate at a single event in the nation, with 212 total participants attending the Field & Stream event in Columbus. Last year, Ohio had 11 events with 564 total participants to promote “Ready, Set, Wear It!”
More Ohio events can be found at readysetwearit.com/join-event/usa-events. If people would like to host their own “Ready, Set, Wear It!” event, there is still time to register at ReadySetWearIt.com.
Additional information on life jacket safety is available from the ODNR, Division of Parks and Watercraft at watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/lifejackets. For more information about the National Safe Boating Council, visit safeboatingcouncil.org.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.