The Sunbury/Big Walnut Area Chamber of Commerce said some volunteer help is needed on Saturday, 12/2/17 from 4-8 p.m. during Christmas on the Square festivities:
- Monitor for Craft Fair in Big Walnut Chamber office (begins 4:30 p.m.)
- Assistance with horse carriage rides beginning shortly after the parade (approx. 6:30 p.m.) on Columbus St.
- Grounds maintenance (keeping Square and surrounding area free of litter)
- Town Hall litter pick-up
- Handing out bags/flyers to folks walking the Square
- Donut-eating contest assistance next to Table Rock Construction on the Square, 7 p.m.
Please contact the Chamber office @ 740-965-2860 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help out in any of these areas.
Thank you & Happy Holidays!
Christmas on the Square 2017 events
4-8 p.m. — Square businesses host Holiday Open Houses throughout the evening
4:30-8 p.m. — Craft & Gift Fair in the meeting room of the Chamber office. Register early! Space is limited! Call the Chamber office @ 740-965-2860 or register online.
5 p.m. — Lighted Christmas Parade Lineup takes place on Burrer Drive. All parade entries are encouraged to have lights on and throughout their display as the parade kicks off after dark, at 5:30 p.m.
* Parade entries will be taken up until the parade kicks off, but we encourage you to turn your entry in early so that the announcer has time to prepare a script!
* For an entry and liability form, call (740-965-2860), stop in to the Chamber office on the Square or register online.
5:30 p.m. — The night’s festivities kick into full gear with the “Lighted” Parade! The parade will kick off from Burrer Drive by the Community Library, head up State Route 37 (or Cherry Street), turn right on Vernon, right on Granville, and back to Burrer Drive. All other festivities will take place on the Scenic Sunbury Square!
* 2nd annual Cookie & Candy Contest on the 2nd floor of the Town Hall, sponsored by Forman Realtors, with proceeds going to Friends Who Share! To begin at 6:30 p.m. after the parade!
* Sunbury Lions Club hosting their Annual Christmas Tree Sale on the Square to benefit Big Walnut Friends Who Share.
* Sunbury Lions Club & Big Walnut Leo Club will be collecting coats on the Square for the Coat Drive! OR Drop off at Sunbury Cleaners off the Square on Granville St. during the holiday season.
* Live Resurrection by First Baptist Church!
* Ornament-making at State Farm Insurance on Vernon Street!
* Open House & Art Show at the Lex Center of Performing Arts featuring artwork from Big Walnut students!
* Open House & Fun Holiday Family Activities at Bright Beginnings Learning Academy on Commerce Drive next to Eagle Automotive!
* Holiday family photo booth, crafts & games for the little ones, hot chocolate & cider and a Christmas Tree giveaway @ Contract Processing & Title, 62 East Cherry St.!
* BWFWS Food Drive – shopping carts provided by Kroger will be on all 4 corners of the Square
* Free Dance Lessons, demonstrations & open dancing @ Lindas3 on the Square from 4:00-8pm; first 25 visitors get a $25 gift certificate towards custom framing!
Following the parade:
* Tree-lighting ceremony at approximately 7 p.m. on the Square! Join Mayor Hatfield, Village Administrator Allen Rothermel and Good ‘Ol Saint Nick as they officially light the Village’s Christmas Tree on the Square!
* Donut Eating Contest! — Join us after the tree lighting a little after 7 p.m. for the Christmas on the Square Donut Eating Contest sponsored and presented by Table Rock Construction! Held just outside of Table Rock Construction. Open to the first 10 people to register. Participants must be at least 18 years of age and sign a liability waiver.
* Entry forms are available at the Chamber office, or register online.
* Ice Sculpting on the Square from 6-8 p.m.
* Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus inside the Town Hall & decorate Christmas cookies with Sunbury Mayor Tommy Hatfield and his family!
* Carriage rides around the Square with Wendy Carpenter and her beautiful team of horses!
* Visit Square Businesses that will be hosting individual Open Houses!
* Enjoy holiday music by DJ Meeko, carolers and dinner on the scenic Sunbury Square!
Food & Beverage Vendors
We will have food and beverage vendors lining Granville Street. They will be set up by 4 p.m. and open from 4:30 to 8 p.m.
* COMMUNITY EUCHRE GAME! (LAST SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH @ CONDIT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 15102 HARTFORD ROAD, SUNBURY – BEGINNERS WELCOME!!)
* HOLIDAY COAT DRIVE – (RUNS NOW THROUGH THE 1ST OF THE YEAR – DROP COATS AT SUNBURY CLEANERS M-FRI 7AM – 7 PM & SAT., 8 AM – 3 PM)
* FOOD DRIVE TO BENEFIT WARM! JOIN FELLOW MEMBER SUNBURY POINT DENTAL – 211 EAST GRANVILLE ST. IN SUNBURY – IN THE FIGHT AGAINST HUNGER! (DROP ITEMS THERE OR TWO OTHER LOCATIONS LISTED ON EVENT PAGE – BEGINS WEDS., 11/1/17 & RUNS THROUGH THURSDAY, 11/30/17)
* HOLIDAY BLANKET DRIVE – ORGANIZED BY TABLE ROCK CONSTRUCTION ON THE SQUARE – 28 EAST CHERRY ST.! (RUNS MONDAY, 11/6/17 – SATURDAY, 12/2/17) DROP NEW BLANKETS AT TABLE ROCK BETWEEN 8 AM – 5 PM, M-FRI AND AT CHRISTMAS ON THE SQUARE – SATURDAY, 12/2/17.
* DELAWARE BUCKEYES HOLIDAY PANCAKE BREAKFAST! (SAT., 12/9/17, 7-11 AM @ BERKSHIRE TOWN HALL, 1454 ROME CORNERS RD., GALENA, OH) ADMISSION FREE, DONATIONS TO ALUMNI CLUB’S SCHOLARSHIP FUND APPRECIATED!
* BIG WALNUT HIGH SCHOOL GOVERNMENT FAIR FINALS! (MONDAY, 12/11/17, 6:30 – 9 PM@BW HIGH SCHOOL) LOOKING FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERS & PEOPLE WITH POLITICAL BACKGROUNDS TO JUDGE & PROVIDE FEEDBACK TO STUDENTS
Information for this story was provided by the Sunbury/Big Walnut Area Chamber of Commerce.