Before pulling out of your driveway or stepping into an airport, review these BBB tips:
- Leave on an off day. If you leave on the actual holiday itself, you can avoid some traffic, or long lines and large groups of travelers at the airport. The busiest traveling time is usually the night before a big holiday.
- Research last-minute travel deals. Bargains on airfare or a hotel may be tempting, but be cautious when booking on an unknown travel website or through an online advertisement. Be sure you understand all anticipated charges to help you compare prices with confidence.
- Pack light. If you are traveling by plane, it could be a good idea to avoid checking a bag all together. If you must, make sure you know your airline’s policies on how much your luggage can weigh and the cost of checking a bag.
- Create a vehicle safety kit. Basics for the kit include: blankets, flashlight with extra batteries, radio, first aid kit, jumper cables, non-perishable foods like granola bars and nuts, bottled water, ice scraper and warm gloves.
- Mail gifts early. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recommends that airport travelers ship their gifts before they leave, or pack them before they are wrapped. For security reasons, gifts may be unwrapped and inspected.
- Avoid public wi-fi. Using free Wi-Fi is convenient, but unsecured networks leave travelers vulnerable. While in restaurants, rest stops, or the airport, avoid giving your personal or payment information in Wi-Fi zones that are public or do not require a password.
- Be wary of extra fees. Most airlines accept pets if they are kenneled, but the charge is usually around $100. Remember that travel plans may change, but your travel cost was determined by your original departure and arrival times. Changing your plans may cost you extra, especially during the holiday travel season.
Visit BBB’s Travel Microsite for more information and travel resources. For more information on finding businesses you can trust, follow your BBB on Facebook, Twitter, and at bbb.org.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU