Which moments caused the most excitement for fans at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio? How did the race for the White House play out over the year? While 2016 may be ending, its events and milestones will live on in The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2017, available in print and as an eBook for all platforms on December 6. The newest edition of America’s best-selling reference book contains thousands of facts and statistics that aren’t publicly available anywhere else and will quickly become your go-to source for the upcoming year.
New features include “2016 Election Results,” providing a comprehensive look at the entire 2016 election process, from candidate biographies and notable campaign trail quotes to voting results in presidential, House, Senate, and gubernatorial races; “World Almanac® Editors’ Picks: The Best Teams That Never Won It All,” taking a look back into sports history for the best teams that fell just short of championship glory; and “Statistical Spotlight,” highlighting statistics relevant to the biggest stories of the year, such as the refugee crisis and a closing look at Obama’s presidency.
Popular sections making their return include “Year in Sports,” “Top 10 News Topics,” “The World at a Glance,” “Time Capsule,” and “Offbeat News Stories.”
“So much happened in 2016 that will be seen as touchstone moments for many years. This year’s presidential race between the first woman major-party nominee and a non-politician major-party nominee captivated the world’s attention. From Brexit to the developing Zika crisis to the Olympic Games in Rio, The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2017 documents all of the year’s major developments in one place,” said Sarah Janssen, senior editor of The World Almanac®. “And with The World Almanac®, you will also be able to take on 2017 with all of the information you’ll need in the year to come.”
Highlights from The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2017 include:
· 2016 Election Results: The World Almanac® provides a comprehensive look at the entire 2016 election process, from the roller coaster of the early primaries and candidate biographies to state and county presidential voting results and coverage of House, Senate, and gubernatorial races.
· World Almanac® Editors’ Picks: The Best Teams That Never Won It All: In light of Golden State’s unprecedented regular season success and eventual downfall in the NBA Finals, The World Almanac® takes a look back into sports history for the best teams that fell just short of championship glory.
· Statistical Spotlight: This brand-new graphic feature highlights statistics relevant to the biggest stories of the year, providing context and giving readers a fresh perspective on important issues like the economy and unemployment, the Zika virus, the world’s migrant/refugee crisis, and the end of the Obama presidency.
· 2016—Top 10 News Topics: The editors of The World Almanac® list the top stories that held the world’s attention in 2016.
· 2016—Year in Sports: Hundreds of pages of trivia and statistics that are essential for any sports fan, featuring complete coverage of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, the 2016 World Series, and much more.
· 2016—Year in Pictures: Striking full-color images from around the world in 2016, covering news, entertainment, science, and sports.
· 2016—Offbeat News Stories: The World Almanac® editors found some of the strangest news stories of the year, reporting on a fugitive octopus, an olfactory matchmaking service, and the meaning of Bundespräsidentenwiederholungswahlverschiebung.
· 2016—World Almanac® Editors’ Picks: Time Capsule: The World Almanac® lists the items that most came to symbolize the year 2016, from news and sports to pop culture.
· Other New Highlights: Newly available statistics on sexuality, student loans, overdose deaths, state minimum wages, and much more.
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2017 is available for purchase at www.worldalmanac.com and wherever books are sold. For the eBook version, please check your online retailer.