The Sunbury/Big Walnut Area Chamber of Commerce’s annual dinner lived up to its billing of “Uniting Business and Community.”
The event, held Nov. 9 at the NorthStar Golf Club, featured silent auction items, the proceeds of which went to Big Walnut Friends Who Share and The Sunbury House. Larry Tornes spoke on behalf of Friends Who Share and Cindy Gremling shared her story about the Sunbury House.
“We are thrilled the bond issue passed,” said Chamber President Cindy Erndt during her remarks. “It shows we have a strong school district.”
“Our growth is reflected in our new members,” said Executive Director John Fox, after calling out those companies and organizations which have joined, and in one case, rejoined the chamber. “The word is out — this is a great place to live and do business.”
Erndt and Fox, along with Mary Crall from the Ohio Treasurer’s Office and Rebecca Hunt from the Ohio Secretary of State’s Office, handed out awards. The winners were:
- Jeff Wilson of the BST&G Fire District, Service Above Self Award
- Sunbury Cleaners, Business of the Year Award
- Fun-in-the-Jungle, New Business Member of Year Award
- Karen Andrews, Chamber Board Service Award
- Rod Meade, Chamber Board Service Award
Four people were elected as 2018 additions to the Board of Directors:
- Warren Cox, Branch Manager for The Middlefield Banking Company
- Brad Ebersole, Economic Development Specialist for Consolidated Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Scott Fraker, Tax Manager for Maloney + Novotny LLC
- Maribeth Meluch, Partner/Attorney for Isaac Wiles Burkholder & Teetor LLC
Longtime Sunbury News contributor Lenny C. Lepola was also recognized for his work.
Gary Budzak may be reached at 740-413-0906 or on Twitter @GaryBudzak.