It’s summer time, and many parents are seeking wholesome activities for their pre-school and school-age children, and needn’t look further than Community Library in Sunbury.
While the library may be in the middle of a major renovation, it’s open for business.
First, there are summer reading club activities, encouraging youngsters, teens and adults to get their noses and minds between the pages of a good read. More information about the 2016 summer reading club is available at the Community Library website at community.lib.oh.us.
Not interested in an extended reading journey? Looking for a one-of activity for your child? Here are some:
• “Time for Two’s” at 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday, July 5, in the Community Library Reading Room. Time for Two’s provides a half hour of songs, a story and a craft, and it’s educational as children work on counting, colors, shapes and early literacy skills while having fun.
• For older youngsters, on Thursday, July 7, there’s “Story Time for 3-year-olds” at 9:45 a.m.; and “Story Time for 4- to 6-year-olds at 10:30 a.m. Each session is a half hour of stories and crafts with a dash of learning.
• Children age 5 to 10 might enjoy the 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, July 9, Lego Club. Children need only supply their imaginations; Community Library supplies the Legos.
• For 7- to 9-year-olds. there’s the “Make and Take Kids – Magnet Mania” at 10 a.m. on Monday, July 11. From Dragon’s Eyes to Bugles, participants will use their imaginations to make their own magnet creations.
• For older children, age 10 and up, “Make and Take Teen” allows participants to create vibrantly colored wall hangings using scrapbook paper that allows each individual to personalize a style by choosing colors and shapes that fits their own personality.
Mom and dad might want to get into the act. Community Library offers a host of adult friendly activities, like yoga for relaxation and fitness.
There’s “Morning Yoga” with Laura Coulson at the library, and “Gentle Yoga” across the street at Sunbury United Methodist Church with Laura Koci. Both are certified yoga instructors. Classes are $7 each, and no pre-registration is required. Participants pay at the class. Check the library website for dates and times.
“Tuesday Evening Knitters” meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the library, and the Sunbury Writers Club meets from 7 to 8 p.m. on the second Tuesday of every month.
The library is located at 44 Burrer Drive.
Reporter Lenny C. Lepola can be reached at 614-266-6093