Sunbury’s biggest event, the Christmas on the Square, is a week away. Admission is free.
The Sunbury/Big Walnut Area Chamber of Commerce offers the following schedule for the celebration, from 4-8 p.m. December 1 on and around Sunbury Square.
4-8 p.m. — Square businesses host Holiday Open Houses throughout the evening.
4:30-8 p.m. — Craft and Gift Fair in the meeting room of the Chamber office. Register early. Space is limited! Click link below for entry form to print and mail, call the Chamber office at 740-965-2860 or register online.
5 p.m. — Lighted Christmas Parade Lineup takes place on Burrer Drive. All parade entries are encouraged to have lights on and throughout their display as the parade kicks off after dark, at 5:30 p.m. Parade entries will be taken up until the parade kicks off, but we encourage you to turn your entry in early so that the announcer has time to prepare a script. For an entry/liability form, call 740-965-2860, stop in to the Chamber office on the Square or register online.
5:30 p.m. — The night’s festivities kick into full gear with the “Lighted” Parade. The parade will kick off from Burrer Drive by the Community Library, head up State Route 37 (or Cherry Street), turn right on Vernon, right on Granville, and back to Burrer Drive.
All other festivities will take place on the Scenic Sunbury Square!
* 3rd annual Cookie and Candy Contest sponsored by Forman Realtors, with proceeds going to Friends Who Share. To begin at 6:30 p.m. after the parade at 28 S. Vernon St. Please contact Forman Realtors 740-965-1212 for registration info.
* Sunbury Lions Club and Boy Scout Troop 701 hosting their Annual Christmas Tree Sale on the Square to benefit Big Walnut Friends Who Share.
NEW THIS SEASON
Model Train Display, sponsored by Chamber member Triple J Realty and provided by the Delaware County Model Railroaders Group on the 3rd floor of the Town Hall!
Straight from the North Pole! Take a photo with Comet right outside the Town Hall! Sponsored by Triple J Realty, Contract Processing and Title, and Reclaimology.
* Sunbury Lions Club will be collecting coats on the Square for the Coat Drive or Drop off at Sunbury Cleaners off the Square on Granville St. during the holiday season.
* Live woodcarving on the Square by Dave Crego, Chainsaw Sculptor!
* Nativity scene provided by St. John Neumann Catholic Church!
* Kid’s Activities and more under the big tent provided by Sunbury Christian Church!
* Ornament-making at State Farm Insurance on Vernon Street.
* Open House and Art Show at the Lex Center of Performing Arts featuring artwork from Big Walnut students.
* Open House and Fun Holiday Family Activities at Bright Beginnings Learning Academy on Commerce Drive next to Eagle Automotive.
* Holiday family photo booth, crafts and games for the little ones, hot chocolate and cider and a Christmas Tree giveaway at Contract Processing and Title, 62 East Cherry St.
* Toy Drive to benefit Big Walnut Friends Who Share at Berkshire Hathaway Home Services on the Square, 50 E. Granville St. — holiday treats and hot cider will be served as well. Jodi Carcamo of the Westerville office said people can bring their new toys to the BHHS Toy Drive between 4-8 p.m. December 1. They don’t have to be wrapped.
* BWFWS Food Drive — shopping carts provided by Kroger of Sunbury will be on all 4 corners of the Square.
* Holiday blanket drive sponsored by Tablerock Construction — located at 28 East Cherry St. on Sunbury Square (new blankets can be dropped at Tablerock, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-5 p.m. or the Chamber office, Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m. now through Christmas on the Square).
* Complimentary pizza under the Gazebo compliments of Jet’s of Sunbury!
Following the parade:
* Carriage rides around the Square with the Carpenter Clydes!
* Tree-lighting ceremony at approximately 7 p.m. on the Square! Join Mayor Hatfield, Village Administrator Allen Rothermel and Good ‘Ol Saint Nick as they officially light the Village’s Christmas Tree on the Square!
* Donut Eating Contest! — Join us after the tree lighting a little after 7 p.m. for the Christmas on the Square Donut Eating Contest sponsored and presented by Table Rock Construction. Held just outside of Table Rock Construction on Cherry St. Open to the first 10 people to register. Participants must be at least 18 years of age and sign a liability waiver.
* Entry forms are available at the Chamber office, click below to print entry and liability form or register online.
* Ice Sculpting by local ice sculptor RockOnIce on the Square from 6-8 p.m.
* Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus inside the Town Hall and decorate Christmas cookies with Sunbury Mayor Tommy Hatfield and his family.
* Visit Square Businesses that will be hosting individual Open Houses.
* Enjoy holiday music by DJ Meeko, carolers and dinner on the scenic Sunbury Square.
Food & Beverage Vendors
We will have food and beverage vendors lining Granville Street. They will be set up by 4 p.m. and open from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The Sunbury/Big Walnut Area Chamber of Commerce is growing in activity, in size, and in influence. We are a team of business, professional and community people working hard to improve the business climate and the quality of life in our area. email@example.com