Galena Summerfest Saturday
If you’ll recall last year the Sunbury Sizzle and Sounds and Galena Summerfest were held on the same day, with shuttles going to and from the nearby villages. Well, this year the events are being held on respective Saturdays. Last week was Sunbury Sizzle, and Saturday, August 26th is Galena’s Summerfest. A great day of fun for the entire family 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Food, beer garden, kids zone, music, arts & crafts, village tours & more!
Hate Crime in Westerville
Several Westerville residents have reported religious slurs written on their driveways and Nazi fliers sent to homes in the past week. Westerville Police Chief Joe Morbitzer said the incidents are being investigated as a hate crime. A nighttime vigil was held in defiance.
Delaware County Fair General Manager Sandy Kuhn says there will be a Racing 101 wine and cheese event at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 29 at the Log Cabin in back of the Fairgrounds.
“It’s on how to bet on harness racing,” Kuhn said. “Ron Potter, who raised Big Bad John, talks about what it takes to raise a Little Brown Jug-winning horse.”
Kuhn said the cabin will hold 50, and 10 had signed up. For more information, call 740-362-3851 or 800-335-3247.
Celebrating Votes for Women
The Delaware County League of Women Voters will be hosting a wine and cheese event to celebrate Women’s Equality Day on Monday, August 28. The event will take place from 7-9 p.m., and will feature Delaware City Mayor Carolyn Kay Riggle as our guest speaker.
Representatives from the Board of Elections will provide updates on the status of voting in Delaware County. The event, which is free and open to the public, will be held at the Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce, 32 South Sandusky Street in Delaware.
The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan voter education organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate.
Preservation Parks briefs
Registration is not required for the following free programs. For more information on parks and programs, visit www.preservationparks.com. Those with questions may call 740-524-8600, or email email@example.com.
• Friday, August 25, 7 p.m. Folk Songs Around the Fire. Preservation Parks invites all music lovers to bring an instrument, or just your voice, and some songs to share for a night of music around the fire. Listeners and singers of all ages welcome. Gallant Farm, 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road, Delaware.
• Saturday, August 26, 8 a.m. Summer Birdwalk Series. Bird enthusiast are encouraged not to miss this early morning hike led by park district staff. All skill levels are welcome and loaner binoculars will be provided as needed. Free, ages 7+. Char-Mar Ridge Park, 7741 Lewis Center Road, Westerville.
• Saturday, August 26, and Sunday, August 27, noon-4 p.m. Drop in Discovery: Hue Hunt. Come to the Deer Haven Park Visitor Center and enjoy the beautiful late summer colors. Grab a bag of paint chips and try to find all your colors in the park. Enjoy a snack and create a memorable take home craft of your colorful adventure. Free, all ages. 4183 Liberty Road, Delaware.
Veterans Pancake Breakfast
American Legion Post 457 Veterans Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, September 9, 2017 from 8-11:30 a.m. at Post 457, 230 Otis St. (behind the water tower). Veterans Eat Free! All others $5 donation. Tickets are available at the August 24, 2017 Post meeting. If you need tickets to sell prior to that please call 740 965-2111, and I will get them to you.
The Friends of the Delaware County District Library are hosting the summer bargain book sale at the Orange Branch, located at 7171 Gooding Blvd, Delaware, Ohio 43015:
August 25 – 5-8 p.m.
August 26 – 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
August 27 – noon-3 p.m.
Bargain books of every genre, best sellers, nonfiction, children, young adults, CD’s and DVD’s all at bargain prices.
New Policy – Friday night – We are welcoming members and non members to our Friday Night sale. Members will get a discount.
Saturday and Sunday pricing: Bring a Friends of the Library bag and fill it with books for $8 or purchase a Friends of the Library bag and fill it with books for $12.
All proceeds go back to the Delaware County District Library. Support the Friends, support the Library.
Sunbury Lions’ Club sponsoring 73rd Ox Roast on Labor Day
The Sunbury Lions’ Club will be sponsoring the 73rd Ox Roast and Community Festival on the Square in Sunbury on Labor Day, September 4th between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. There will be activities for everyone. The Ox Roast and Festival will feature vendors offering products such as antiques, jewelry, and furniture as well as other items. There will also be activities such as a bounce house and slides. The Big Walnut High School Band and the Central Ohio Harmonica Association will provide additional entertainment.
The Lions’ Club will be serving breakfast from 7-10 a.m. for vendors and early shoppers. The menu includes egg sandwiches and egg and sausage sandwiches as well as coffee and juice.
From 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. the Lions’ Club will be serving their famous ox roast sandwiches along with hotdogs, baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, chips and soda or water. A drive-thru for purchasing the meals will also be set up. The drive-thru entry will be located behind Linda’s Antiques, and the exit will be by Whitney Insurance. The sandwich stand will be located next to Whitney Insurance.
The first ox roast occurred in 1944 and has taken place every Labor Day rain or shine. The Vendors market was introduced in 1965. The Ox Roast and Vendor Market attracts 5,000-7,000 visitors every Labor Day. On average, the Lions’ Club sells 2,000 sandwiches, 100 pounds of potato salad, 50 pounds of coleslaw, 70 pounds of baked beans, 100 pies, and 30 cases of soda.
For more information on the Ox Roast visit the Sunbury Lions’ Club website: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blues & BBQ Festival
Sept. 30th is Marion, Ohio’s 2nd Annual Blues & BBQ Festival! Free admission, blues music all day, beer, the best BBQ in Ohio, & more!!
Confirmed Music Schedule
1-2 – Patrick Pierce
2:30-3:45 – Micah Kesselring
4:15-5:30 – The Drifter Kings
6-7:15 – The Jimi Vincent Band
7:45-9 – The Greezy Bullets
9:30-11 – Dock Adams & Blues Hammer
This year, it’s going to be downtown in the parking lot of the Marion County Administration Bldg. (by Oak St.) and free admission!
Confirmed BBQ vendors:
* Reece’s (Marion folks!)
* Endzone 21 BBQ & More (Marion folks!)
* Big Pappy’s BBQ
* Off the Bone BBQ
* Tackett’s will be serving pork sandwiches
Beer will be on-site thanks to Downtown Marion!
Auctioning off our 2 remaining blues portraits,
Martial Arts Demonstration by WolfPak Martial Arts @ Noon!
Chamber Event Choices
SHOP LOCAL! Sunbury Farmers’ Market on the Square, Saturdays 9am-Noon, rain or shine through October 14th. For more info, see event page!
AFTER HOURS EVENT @ FIRST COMMONWEALTH BANK IN SUNBURY! ALL ARE WELCOME! REFRESHMENTS SERVED (THURS., 10/5/17, 6 – 7:30 PM) COME BY TO NETWORK & FIND OUT MORE ABOUT BIG WALNUT AREA’S NEWEST BANK! SEE EVENT PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
FIRST FRIDAY – BUILDING BUSINESS OVER BREAKFAST (FRIDAY, 10/6, CHAMBER MEETING ROOM, 7:30 – 9 AM – FREE TO ALL!) GUEST SPEAKERS JOHN GILLAM & ADAM LANTER OF NEW YORK LIFE – FOR MORE INFO AND TO REGISTER, SEE EVENT PAGE!
OCTOBER QUARTERLY MEMBERSHIP BREAKFAST @ NORTHSTAR! (“CANDIDATES” BREAKFAST – FRIDAY, 10/20/17, 7:30 – 9 AM) COMBINED BOND & SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT LEVY INFO AS WELL AS HEARING FROM LOCAL BW AREA CANDIDATES – ALL WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO SPEAK UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYE OF THE TIMEKEEPER! FREE TO MEMBERS! SEE EVENT PAGE FOR MORE INFO AND TO REGISTER.
2017 ANNUAL DINNER & AWARDS CEREMONY @ NORTHSTAR! (THURSDAY, 11/9/17, 6:30 – 9PM – SILENT AUCTION BENEFITING BW FRIENDS WHO SHARE & FESTIVE TABLE DECORATIONS AS WELL!) SEE EVENT PAGE FOR MORE INFO & TO REGISTER FOR A TABLE. We are NOW accepting items for the Silent Auction, including Table Decorations – contact the Chamber office!
* SMALL TOWN SATURDAYS @ HF GALLERY (SATURDAYS, 9AM-1PM, JUST OFF THE SQUARE ON CHERRY ST.)
* LIVE MUSIC ON THE PATIO @ NORTHSTAR! (FRIDAY, 8/25/17, 7 – 10PM – ENJOY THE MUSIC OF MARQUEE 66!) See event page for contact details.
* 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY @ NORTHSTAR POOL! (SATURDAY, 8/26, NOON – 3 PM – DJ, MUSIC, FUN ACTIVITIES ALL AFTERNOON!) See event page for further details and the evening “Dive-In” showing of Moana!http://www.sunburybigwalnutchamber.com/events/details/10-year-celebration-at-northstar-pool-3484
* COMMUNITY EUCHRE GAME! (SATURDAY, 8/26/17 & LAST SAT. OF EACH MONTH @ CONDIT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH – BEGINNERS WELCOME!!) See event page for more info!
* BUSINESS WON! NETWORK W/LIKE-MINDED PROFESSIONALS IN THE BIG WALNUT AREA! (TUES., 9/12/17, 7:45 – 9 AM – CHAMBER MEETING ROOM) FOR INFO & REGISTRATION, SEE EVENT PAGE!
* DELAWARE BUCKEYES BOOK GROUP! GET YOUR LITERARY GROOVE ON! (TUESDAY, 9/12/17, 6:30PM – 8PM @ O’CHARLEYS RESTAURANT ON POLARIS) see event page for more info!
* BIG WALNUT AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY PRESENTS A FREE SHOWING OF “BEYOND THESE WALLS”, A FILM SHOWING HOW A DEVASTATED INDUSTRIAL COMMUNITY PULLED TOGETHER TO BRING HOPE & PRIDE TO THEIR COMMUNITY (WEDS., 9/12/17, 7:30 – 9:30PM @ MYERS INN ON THE SQUARE) See event page for further details!
* FUTURE NOW LEARNING SERIES – BUYING, SELLING & PROTECTING THE HOME YOU LOVE! (WEDS., 9/20/17, 6:30 – 8 PM – DELAWARE AREA CAREER CENTER NORTH AUDITORIUM) See event page for more info and where to register!
WISE CLASSES (WELLNESS INITIATIVE FOR SENIOR EDUCATION) @ SOURCEPOINT (TUES., 9/26/17. 1 – 2:30 PM) FREE ADMISSION! See event page for more info.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU