On Thursday, February 15, 2018, the Ohio Capital Conference principals approved a new realignment model that will begin in the fall of 2020. The vote passed overwhelmingly 26-5.
Big Walnut is currently in a 6-team division with Canal Winchester, Franklin Heights, Groveport, New Albany, and Newark. Due to being in a 6-team division, Big Walnut is currently required to play crossover games as scheduled by the OCC. Sometimes these crossover games are not is what is best for our teams.
In the new alignment, Big Walnut (29) will be in an 8-team division with Canal Winchester (32), Delaware Hayes (21), Dublin Scioto (27), Franklin Heights (28), Westerville North (25), Westerville South (26) and Worthington Kilbourne (31). The number in parenthesis indicates the school size rank projection starting with the 2020-21 school year out of 32 schools.
The OCC alignment committee has been collaborating on a realignment plan for the last several months ever since Olentangy Berlin joined the league as the 32nd school and will open this fall. There were a number of models that were considered and voted down before the most current model passed on Wednesday, February 15, 2018. The OCC bylaws require 22 “yes” votes for an alignment to be considered a successful vote.
For Big Walnut, we are satisfied with the new model. Travel will be less than our current model and we will no longer have crossover games since we are in an 8-team division. The OCC uses a variety of data points to align schools with school size being one of the key factors. The schools in our new division are of similar size. Big Walnut is growing and that was considered during the process.
The new alignment does not impact our middle school teams.
Big Walnut will no longer be the smallest school in the OCC.
The other new divisional models are outlined below:
Gahanna (1), Grove City (4), New Albany (24), Pickerington North(17), Westerville Central (8), and Westland (5)
Dublin Coffman (3), Hilliard Bradley (20), Hilliard Davidson (9), Olentangy Orange (7), Olentangy Liberty (10), and Upper Arlington (12)
Dubin Jerome (14), Hilliard Darby (22), Olentangy (18), Olentangy Berlin (30), Marysville, (19), and Thomas Worthington (16)
Central Crossing (6), Groveport (23), Lancaster (11), Newark (13), Pickerington Central (15), Reynoldsburg (2)
Athletic Director/Big Walnut High School
Below is the approved OCC realignment plan, which begins with the 2020-21 school year, and the current alignment, which began with the 2016-17 school year:
Six-school division: Gahanna, Grove City, New Albany, Pickerington North, Westerville Central and Westland
Eight-school division: Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Delaware, Dublin Scioto, Franklin Heights, Westerville North, Westerville South and Worthington Kilbourne
Six-school division: Dublin Coffman, Hilliard Bradley, Hilliard Davidson, Olentangy Liberty, Olentangy Orange and Upper Arlington
Six-school division: Dublin Jerome, Hilliard Darby, Marysville, Olentangy, Olentangy Berlin and Thomas Worthington
Six-school division: Central Crossing, Groveport, Lancaster, Newark, Pickerington Central and Reynoldsburg
OCC-Buckeye: Olentangy, Olentangy Liberty, Olentangy Orange, Westerville Central, Westerville North and Westerville South
OCC-Cardinal: Delaware, Dublin Jerome, Dublin Scioto, Hilliard Bradley, Hilliard Darby, Olentangy Berlin (opening this fall), Thomas Worthington and Worthington Kilbourne
OCC-Capital: Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Franklin Heights, Groveport, New Albany and Newark
OCC-Central: Central Crossing, Dublin Coffman, Hilliard Davidson, Marysville, Upper Arlington and Westland
OCC-Ohio: Gahanna, Grove City, Lancaster, Pickerington Central, Pickerington North and Reynoldsburg
Current Ohio High School Conferences
As of August 2018, there are 78 conferences in the state of Ohio, in addition to 25 independent schools.
There are 21 conferences that have divisional breakdowns. Some schools are members of more than one conference, based on sport. The parentheses following the school name represents the county the school is located in.
- Akron City Series; All-American Conference
- Blanchard Valley Conference; Buckeye Border Conference; Buckeye 8
- Central Buckeye Conference; Chagrin Valley Conference; Cincinnati Hills League; Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference; Cleveland Senate Athletic League; Cross County Conference
- Central Catholic League (6 schools) Bishop Hartley (Franklin), Bishop Ready (Franklin), Bishop Watterson (Franklin), Columbus School for Girls (Franklin), St. Charles (Franklin), St. Francis DeSales (Franklin)
- Columbus City League (15 schools) North Division: Beechcroft (Franklin), Centennial (Franklin), East (Franklin), Linden McKinley (Franklin), Mifflin (Franklin), Northland (Franklin), Whetstone (Franklin). South Division: Africentric (Franklin), Briggs (Franklin), Eastmoor Academy (Franklin), Independence (Franklin), Marion-Franklin (Franklin), South (Franklin), Walnut Ridge (Franklin), West (Franklin)
- Dayton City League
- East Central Ohio League; Eastern Cincinnati Conference; Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference
- Federal League; Firelands Conference; Frontier Athletic Conference
- Great Lakes Conference; Greater Catholic League; Greater Cleveland Conference; Greater Miami Conference; Greater Western Ohio Conference; Green Meadows Conference
- Inter Valley Conference
- Knox Morrow Athletic Conference (8 schools) Cardington-Lincoln (Morrow), Centerburg (Knox), Danville (Knox), East Knox (Knox), Highland (Morrow), Fredericktown (Knox), Mount Gilead (Morrow), Northmor (Morrow)
- Lake Erie League
- Licking County League (10 schools) Granville (Licking), Heath (Licking), Johnstown-Monroe (Licking), Johnstown Northridge (Licking), Lakewood (Licking), Licking Heights (Licking), Licking Valley (Licking), Newark Catholic (Licking), Utica (Licking), Watkins Memorial (Licking)
- Mahoning Valley Athletic Conference; Metro Buckeye Conference; Miami Valley Conference; Mid Buckeye Conference
- Mid Ohio Athletic Conference (8 schools) Buckeye Valley (Delaware), Clear Fork (Richland), Galion (Crawford), Marion Harding (Marion), North Union (Union), Ontario (Richland), Pleasant (Marion), River Valley (Marion)
- Mid Ohio Christian Athletic League (6 schools) Delaware Christian (Delaware), Gahanna Christian Academy (Franklin), Granville Christian (Licking), Madison Christian (Franklin), Northside Christian (Franklin), Shekinah Christian School (Madison), Tree of Life Christian (Franklin)
- Mid-State League (22 schools) Buckeye Division: Amanda-Clearcreek (Fairfield), Bloom-Carroll (Fairfield), Circleville (Pickaway), Fairfield Union (Fairfield), Hamilton Township (Franklin), Liberty Union (Fairfield), Logan Elm (Pickaway), Teays Valley (Pickaway). Cardinal Division: Berne Union (Fairfield), Bishop Rosecrans (Zanesville), Fairfield Christian (Fairfield), Fisher Catholic (Fairfield), Grove City Christian (Franklin), Harvest Preparatory (Franklin), Millersport (Fairfield), Wellington School (Franklin). Ohio Division: Bexley (Franklin), Bishop Ready (Franklin) *, Columbus Academy (Franklin), Grandview Heights (Franklin), London (Madison), Madison Plains (Madison) *, West Jefferson (Madison) *, Whitehall-Yearling (Franklin), Worthington Christian (Franklin). * Bishop Ready, Madison Plains and West Jefferson are football-only members
- Midwest Athletic Conference; Muskingum Valley League
- North Coast League; Northeast 8 Athletic Conference (Begins Fall 2018); Northeastern Athletic Conference; Northeastern Buckeye Conference; Northern 10 Conference; Northern Buckeye Conference; Northern Lakes League; Northwest Conference; Northwest Central Conference; Northwest Ohio Athletic League
- Ohio Capital Conference (31 schools) Buckeye Division: Olentangy (Delaware), Olentangy Liberty (Delaware), Olentangy Orange (Delaware), Westerville Central (Delaware), Westerville North (Franklin), Westerville South (Franklin). Capital Division: Big Walnut (Delaware), Canal Winchester (Franklin), Franklin Heights (Franklin), Groveport-Madison (Franklin), New Albany (Franklin), Newark (Licking). Cardinal Division: Hayes (Delaware), Dublin Jerome (Franklin), Dublin Scioto (Franklin), Hilliard Bradley (Franklin), Hilliard Darby (Franklin), Thomas Worthington (Franklin), Worthington Kilbourne (Franklin). Central Division: Central Crossing (Franklin), Dublin Coffman (Franklin), Hilliard Davidson (Franklin), Marysville (Union), Upper Arlington (Franklin), Westland (Franklin). Ohio Division: Gahanna Lincoln (Franklin), Grove City (Franklin), Lancaster (Fairfield), Pickerington Central (Fairfield), Pickerington North (Fairfield), Reynoldsburg (Franklin).
- Ohio Cardinal Conference (7 schools) Ashland (Ashland), Lexington (Richland), Madison Comprehensive (Richland), Mansfield Senior (Richland), Mount Vernon (Knox), West Holmes (Holmes), Wooster (Wayne)
- Ohio Heritage Conference; Ohio Valley Athletic Conference; Ohio Valley Conference
- Patriot Athletic Conference; Pioneer Valley Conference; Portage Trail Conference; Principals Athletic Conference; Putnam County League
- Sandusky Bay Conference; Scioto Valley Conference; Shelby County Athletic League; South Central Ohio League; S. Buckeye Athletic & Academic Conference; Southern Hills Athletic Conference; Southern Ohio Conference; Southwest Ohio Conference; Southwest Ohio Public League; Southwestern Buckeye League; Southwestern Conference; Suburban League
- Three Rivers Athletic Conference; Toledo Area Athletic Conference; Toledo City League; Tri-Valley Conference
- Wayne County Athletic League; Western Buckeye League; Western Reserve Conference
For more information, visit http://bigwalnutathletics.net/