Division I Boys Basketball: Sunbury Big Walnut is the 26th seed in Columbus 2 regional, and will play the winner of Dublin Scioto (30) at Gahanna Lincoln (15) at the higher seed’s site at 7 p.m. March 1.
Division II Girls Basketball: Sunbury Big Walnut is the 3rd seed in Westerville 2 regional, and played Columbus Horizon Science Academy (23) at 7 p.m. Feb. 19 (as the paper went to press). If they win, they would play Columbus International (24) at 7 p.m. Feb. 22. If they continue to win, they would play at home 7 p.m. Feb. 26; and at 8:30 p.m. March 1 at Westerville Central High School; and at 8 p.m. Tuesday March 5 at Springfield H.S.; 7:30 p.m. March 8 at Springfield and at 6 p.m. Thursday March 14 at the Ohio State University’s Schottenstein Center; with the championship at 2 p.m. March 16 at OSU.
Big Walnut beats Franklin Heights High School 54-39
Friday, February 8, 2019 7:30 PM AWAY
Game Recap: The boys basketball team beat Franklin Heights by a score of 54-39. The boys return home on Friday 2/15 for the final home game of the regular season against Groveport Madison. Please come support our 5 seniors on Senior Night!
Box Scores 1 2 3 4
BWHS 8 20 14 12
FHHS 7 9 11 12
Big Walnut falls to Marysville High School 55-54
Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:30 PM AWAY
Game Recap: The boys basketball team looks to bounce back as they travel to Franklin Heights after suffering a tough loss at the buzzer this past Tuesday at Marysville.
Box Scores 1 2 3 4
BWHS 16 16 13 9
MHS 16 12 5 22
Posted by Brett Bartlett email@example.com
Big Walnut beats Franklin Heights High School 82-15
Friday, February 8, 2019 7 PM HOME
Game Recap: Basketball Big Walnut Lady Eagles celebrated seniors Erin Boehm and Emily Neff this evening. Junior Avery Schone led all-scorers with 13 points followed by junior Payton Carter with 10 points.
Box Scores 1 2 3 4
BWHS 25 16 15 26
FHHS 0 2 6 7
Posted by Tabatha Piper firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Walnut finishes 6th place at OCC Tournament
Sunday, February 10, 2019 10 AM Points 3919
Meet Recap: Big Walnut was led by Bryan Mengel’s team high series of 577. Sophomore Brayden Buchs also rolled his career high game of 236 to edge out Bryans 235 game.
Big Walnut falls to Harding High School 2349-1882
Monday, February 11, 2019 4 PM AWAY
Game Recap: The Big Walnut boys were defeated by Harding. In the loss, Erin Hoover rolled his career high series of 454 and high game of 235. Harding was led by Eli Cox Match high 463 and match high 265.
Posted by Scott Morrison email@example.com
Big Walnut beats Worthington Kilbourne High School 2309-2255
Friday, February 15, 2019 4 PM AWAY
Game Recap: Big Walnut was led by Bryan Mengel’s career best series of 459 while throwing a 225-234. Brayden Buchs also added a 407 series while defeating Kilbourne 2309-2255. Kilbourne was led by Connor Burke’s 431 Series.
Posted by Teresa Piper firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Walnut finishes 5th place at OCC Tournament
Sunday, February 10, 2019 10 AM Points 3309
Meet Recap: The lady Eagles capped off a great weekend placing 5th in the OCC Tournament Sunday. Kaitlyn Morrison led Big Walnut with a 543 series followed by Ashleigh Westervelt’s 497 series. The also had the 2nd highest Baker Average of 180. Saturday Big Walnut Girls also finished 5th in the OCC Roll-Offs Championships. Big Walnut Girls had never before qualified for this event. Kaitlyn Morrison rolled a 557 to place 4th on the All Tournament Team. The Big Walnut Girls posted the best Division record in School history going 9-2 in Division play.
Big Walnut beats Harding High School 1836-1780
Monday, February 11, 2019 4 PM AWAY
Game Recap: Big Walnut continues to add to best team record of 13-2 by defeating Harding 1836-1780. Big Walnut was led by Kaitlyn Morrison’s series of 350. Harding was led by Kenzie Augenstein’s’ 381series. Their next match is Friday vs Worthington Kilbourne
Big Walnut beats Worthington Kilbourne High School 2245-1688
Friday, February 15, 2019 4 PM AWAY
Game Recap: Big Walnut was led by Caitlyn Lamberts Girls team record series of 493 to defeat Kilbourne 2245-1688. This is both her personal high in series and game highs of 257-236. Lambert’s 493 is 2nd only to Lilu Smiths of Gahanna’s 496 series in the entire COHBC conference of Central Ohio. Autumn Leidtke also threw her personal best series of 432 and personal high game of 233. This was also Big Walnut Girls record team series of 2245. This win also continues to add to the Lady Eagles best season raising their record to an all time high of 14-2, They have one last game vs Teays Valley next Tuesday before the Sectionals starting on Friday the 22nd.
Posted by Scott Morrison email@example.com
Big Walnut ties New Albany High School 1-1
Saturday, February 9, 2019 4 PM AWAY
Game Recap: The Big Walnut Swim Team competed on Saturday, February 9 in the OHSAA Sectional Swimming Tournament held at Thomas Worthington High School. Both the boys and girls team did an outstanding job with the Boys 400 Free Relay (Charlie Jaeger, Nathan Wion, Braden Buckler, Gabe Charles) qualifying for Districts. Also qualifying is freshman Gabe Charles in the 100 Butterfly and the 500 Free. The Boys will swim at the OHSAA District Swimming Tournament on Friday, February 15 at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion.
The team had many personal best times at this event:
200 Free: Jordan May, Nathan Wion, Christopher Lee, Luke Hawbaker
200 IM: Megan Baldy, Caleb Meade
50 Free: Mairin Ryan, Cole Wecker, Roy Roberto, Angelo Cotugno
100 Fly: Gabe Charles, Tyler Paul
100 Free: Jamie May, Mairin Ryan, Brayden Wagner, Luke Hawbaker
500 Free: Samantha Blackburn, Gabe Charles, Nathan Wion
100 Back: Megan Baldy, Elinor Russell, Jamie May, Christopher Lee, Ryan Long, Jacob Glidden
100 Breast: Jordan May, Micah Tillar, Caleb Meade, Angelo Cotugno
Big Walnut ties Olentangy Orange High School 1-1
Saturday, February 16, 2019 noon AWAY
Game Recap: The Big Walnut Swim and Dive Team competed in OHSAA District Swim and Dive Tournament held at the Ohio State University McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion on Friday, February 15th. Freshman Gabe Charles competed in the Boys 100 Yard Fly and finished 28th out of 30th with a personal best time of 56:19 seconds. Gabe also competed in the Boys 500 Yard Free finishing in 25th place with a personal best time of 5:04:07. The Boys 400 Yard Free Relay comprised of Nathan Wion, Charlie Jaeger, Braden Buckler and Gabe Charles finished in 27th place with a personal best time of 3:44:29. The dive team had freshman Micah Tillar finish in 14th place with a score of 296.55 and sophomore Mackenna Ames finish in 21st place with a score of 137.75. Also placing included freshman Eva Lane in 23rd place with a score of 133.55 and senior Trevor Ambrose in 30th place with a score of 108.10. The Swim and Dive Team will hold their end of the year banquet on Monday, March 4th.
Posted by Kristy May firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Walnut finishes 10th place at Otterbein College
Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:45 PM Points 21
Meet Recap: Another strong performance by the indoor team. I am so excited about what I am seeing from all of the girls, and how hard they compete. I can’t wait for outdoor season to begin, this is going to be another fun season!!
60m hurdles MacKenna Ames 10.71 (Season Best)
60m dash Hanna Pinkston 8.63; Estella Truax 9.27
4×200 relay 1:57.40 3rd place (Season Best): Hanna Pinkston, Hannah Unger, Lindsey Luchsinger, Alle English
4×200 relay 2:04.78: Riley Anderson, Chloe McKenzie, Grace Unger, Grace Grundewald
4×200 relay 2:09.58: MacKenna Ames, Audrey LaVrar, Abbey Danne, Estella Truax
4×800 relay 11:05.93 2nd place: Grace Unger, Grace Grunewald, Jaiden Hilton, Adelee Gartner
Triple Jump Sydney Foxworthy 29’ 6” (Personal Best) 4th place; Alle English 28’ 5” (Personal Best); 7th place Mia Smith 26’ 5” (Personal Best) 9th place
Long Jump Sydney Foxworthy 13’ 0” (Personal Best); Mia Smith 12’ 3”
Shot Put Grace Weber 23’ 9”; Grace Salloum 23’ 0”; Catherine Charles 22’ 4”
Weight Throw Grace Weber 22’ 4”; Catherine Charles 18’ 4”; Grace Salloum 18’ 3”
Posted by Joe Evener email@example.com
Big Walnut finishes 5th place at Ron Thomas Sr. Wrestling Invitational
Saturday, February 9, 2019 9 AM Points 93 (rescheduled from Jan. 19)
Meet Recap: Wrestling BW Wrestlers finished the Jonathan Alder Ron Thomas Memorial Tournament in 5th place behind strong showings from Sr Josh Halbakken (1st, 182 lbs), Jr Ryan Coletta (2nd, 152 lbs), Sr Levi Piceno (3rd, 126 lbs), Jr Max Lenz (3rd, 220 lbs), Sr Drew Armstrong (4th, 138 lbs), Jr Christian Jodrey (4th, 120 lbs), and Freshman Gavin Miller (4th, 160 lbs). That’s 7 placers out of 13 weight classes. Awesome job Eagles!
Next up for the Eagles is the last OCC dual of the season against New Albany on Thursday.
Big Walnut beats New Albany High School 37-27
Thursday, February 14, 2019 6 PM AWAY
Game Recap: It’s tough to beat a team twice in the same season, especially one so evenly matched as New Albany. However, the young BW Eagles did just that. After narrowly winning a dual against New Albany at the State Duals two weeks ago, Big Walnut knew they would have to step up their commitment to win again in the OCC dual Thursday. Action started at 106 with Freshman Andrew Parker getting a quick fall. Grayson Segars was able to flip the table on an opponent that pinned him at the state duals and won 8-5. Pins by Coletta (152) and Miller (160) helped propel the Eagles of Big Walnut over the Eagles of New Albany 37-27.
106: Parker (BW) over Thompson (NA) Fall 0:19; 6-0
113: Lang (BW) by Forfeit; 12-0
120: Swincicki (NA) over Jodrey (BW) Fall 1:16; 12-6
126: Perry (NA) over Piceno (BW) 7-1; 12-9
132: Segars (BW) over Fudge (NA) 8-5; 15-9
138: Armstrong (BW) over Sautter (NA) MD 11-2; 19-9
145: Zusman (NA) over L. O’Malley (BW) Fall 3:16; 19-15
152: Coletta (BW) over Weddle (NA) Fall 2:55; 25-15
160: Miller (BW) over Chattos (NA) Fall 2:36; 31-15
170: Halbakken (BW) over Ackley (NA) 5-0; 34-15
182: Spellman (NA) over A. O’Malley (NA) 10-7, 34-18
195: Wilson (NA) over W. Lenz (BW) 5-2, 34-21
220: M. Lenz (BW) over Rutledge (NA) 8-7; 37-21
285: Lee (NA) over Hines (BW) Fall 0:28; 37-27
138: Lopez (NA) over Takatch (BW) 10-8
195: Galbraith (NA) over Hurst (BW) 7-6
Big Walnut ends their regular season with a 3-2 record in the OCC Capital Division. Next up for the Wrestling Eagles is the Sectional Tournament February 23 at Watkins Memorial.
Posted by Jack Reall firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Walnut High School Athletics – 2019 Spring
• Sports Start Dates – Baseball, Softball, and Lacrosse start Monday 2/18/19 and Track and Tennis start Monday 3/4/19 more information @ https://bigwalnutathletics.net/2019/01/07/bwhs-athletics-2019-spring-sports-information-tryouts-etc/
• Any senior that is going to play a sport at the college level and has not already spoken to Mrs. Piper about it; please see Mrs. Piper in the Athletic Office.
• The Big Walnut “12 Seasons of Greatness” information can be found out https://bigwalnutathletics.net/2018/11/30/12-seasons-of-greatness/. Please see Mrs. Piper in the Athletic Office if you have met the criteria.
• Preseason Workouts and Open Gyms. Any questions, please contact Coach Hatfield @ Jeff.Hatfield@mt.com. GO EAGLES!! https://bigwalnutathletics.net/2018/11/14/2019-bwhs-softball-preseason-workouts-open-gyms/
• Any boys interested in trying out for the baseball team and have not been attending weight lifting and open gyms please contact Coach Schone at email@example.com for more information.
• There will be a BWHS boys tennis parent meeting on Wednesday, 3.13.19 at 6 PM in the BWHS Innovation Center. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Balaz at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Any boys interested in participating on the spring track team and could not attend the meeting on 1.10.19, please contact Coach Myers @ email@example.com
• NEW DATE….There will be a BWHS Girls Track & Field parent/athlete meeting on Wednesday, 2.27.19 not Thursday, 3.7.19 still at 6:00 PM in the HS Cafeteria. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Evener at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Friday, 3.8.2019 A Night at the Races Fundraiser for Big Walnut Lacrosse more information https://bigwalnutathletics.net/2019/01/23/friday-3-8-2019-a-night-at-the-races-fundraiser-for-big-walnut-lacrosse/
• Upcoming winter sports teams senior recognition dates: 2.1.19 Swim/Dive 6:00 PM at Westerville Recreation Center — 2.1.19 Bowling 7:45 PM at the Varsity Girls Basketball Game during half time — 2.7.19 Wrestling 5:45 PM at the Varsity Wrestling match — 2.8.19 Girls Basketball 6:45 PM before the Varsity Girls Basketball game after the JV game — 2.15.19 Boys Basketball & Cheer 6:45 PM before the Varsity Boys Basketball game after the JV game.
• Information regarding Big Walnut Youth Camps and Clinics for 2019 please go to this link https://bigwalnutathletics.net/2019/01/04/big-walnut-youth-camps-and-clinics-2019/
• Please join us on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 from 5:30-8:30 PM at PJ’s Family Restaurant. They are teaming up with the Big Walnut High School Girls Track team to help them raise money for their program. Please stop in during these hours and grab a delicious meal for free only with a donation to the program. PJ’s will be offering two meals for FREE!!! Beef Stroganoff & Johnny Marzetti In lieu of a bill, you can pay for your meal by making a donation to the BWHS Girls Track program (meals other than those listed above & beverages are not included in the fund raiser). Thank you Big Walnut community for your support!!
• 2019 Swim Camp February 18, 19, 21 Grades 5 to 8 & Family Swim Night February 22 Adults & Grades 3 to 8 — More information & on line registration at https://www.locallevelevents.com/events/details/6548
• There will be a parent/athlete meeting on Wednesday, 2.13.19 @ 6:30 PM in the BWHS Cafeteria for any girl interested in participating on the girls soccer team next fall 2019. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Allen @ email@example.com
• Any girl interested in competing in track and field this spring, there will be an informational meeting on Tuesday, February 19th at 2:45 in the cafeteria. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Evener @ firstname.lastname@example.org
• There will be a parent meeting for the BWHS Boys Lacrosse team on Wednesday, 2.20.19 @ 7:00 PM in the BWHS Atrium. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Brunner @ email@example.com
• There will be a meeting on Wednesday, 2.13.19 @ 7:15 AM in the HS gym for anyone interested in participating on the football team next fall. If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Weaver @ firstname.lastname@example.org
• Athletic information can be found on the website @ https://bigwalnutathletics.net/ sport team information is under the Fall-Winter-Spring tabs and additional athletic information is under the MORE tab.
• Big Walnut Winter & Spring Athletic Season Passes for High School and Middle School events for Adults, Students and Senior Citizens go to this link to purchase https://bigwalnutathletics.net/season-ticket-information/
• The BWHS Girls Lacrosse team will be having a Chipotle fundraiser on Monday, 2.18.19 from 4:00 to 8:00 PM at the Maxtown location. The flyer is at this link https://bigwalnutathletics.net/2019/02/11/2-18-19-bwhs-girls-lacrosse-team-chipotle-fundraiser/
• Harlem Wizards back at Big Walnut High School – When: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 – 5:00 to 6:30 PM – Dinner is catered by the Big Walnut Grill in the Big Walnut High School Cafeteria – Children – $3.00 each – Hot dog, mac n cheese and drink – Adults – $7.00 each – Pulled pork or chicken sandwich, cole slaw, baked beans and drink – By: Presented by the Sunbury/Galena Rotary Club/Benefits BW Students – Time: 6:30 PM Game Time – Where: Big Walnut High School Gymnasium – Tickets: Can be purchased at https://www.harlemwizards.com/schedule-tickets – Any questions, please contact Jim Irwin @ email@example.com
Information for this story was provided by the coaches and BWHS.