Wolves top Eagles 21-14 in OT

In a heartbreaking loss where it seemed like Big Walnut dominated Worthington Kilbourne, the Wolves topped the Eagles 21-14 in an exciting overtime home opener.

With 3:06 to go in the first quarter, Worthington got on the board first, with a pretty 14-yard pass by quarterback Parker Wereb to Gavin Baker in the corner of the end zone. Joey Laudermilch added the extra point.

Big Walnut scored its first points of the season about midway through the second quarter with a 20-yard screen pass by quarterback Tyler Ronk to tight end Nathan Lawyer. Kicker Tyler Shuster tied it at 7-all. With seconds remaining in the half, it remained tied when a Laudermilch field goal attempt went wide right.

Both bands put on a good halftime show. Kilbourne juxtaposed Dvorak’s New World Symphony with Twenty One Pilots’ Heathens; while Big Walnut played Madonna and Green Day.

After an interception by Kilbourne’s Ryan Hester, the Wolves took a 14-7 lead on a 12-yard run by Elijah Young with two minutes left in the third quarter. However, Eagles running back Abe Myers had a breakout game, culminating in a one-yard touchdown over the top to tie the game with 2:45 left in regulation. A field goal attempt that would have won the game for Big Walnut went wide left with eight seconds to go.

In overtime, Big Walnut started on defense, with Worthington Kilbourne on the 20-yard line. On the first untimed down, Wereb kept it himself, faking everyone out for the TD. When Walnut had a chance to respond, there was a four-yard loss, and three straight incompletions.

Up next for BW is a televised Thursday night game at Dublin Scioto on Sept. 7.

.neFileBlock {
margin-bottom: 20px;
.neFileBlock p {
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
.neFileBlock .neFile {
border-bottom: 1px dotted #aaa;
padding-bottom: 5px;
padding-top: 10px;
.neFileBlock .neCaption {
font-size: 85%;

Big Walnut players celebrate after scoring their second touchdown against Worthington Kilbourne.
https://www.sunburynews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2017/09/web1_DSCF9655.jpgBig Walnut players celebrate after scoring their second touchdown against Worthington Kilbourne.

The Sept. 8 print edition will have a longer version of this story.