Big Walnut Middle School Boys Track Coach Doug Eckelbarger sent a full team of 12 student-athletes to the 10th Annual Middle School Track & Field State Championships held at Dublin Scioto High School.
“Cole Matos suffered a head injury which left us with 11,” Eckelbarger said. “But our boys were in second or third place the entire meet. We battled a very close meet that had over 60 teams. We ended the day in sixth place with 46 points, but single points separated us from each place. A few points would have gotten us second”
Eckelbarger said meet scores were so close that the fourth and fifth place teams tied for fourth at 47 points. He also noted that Big Walnut Middle School finished 17th overall in the state, all divisions combined, out of 170 teams.
• Boys 4×200 Relay: Keeghan Ballantyne, Dante Chuum, Jacob Daniels and Jack Belcher; 6th place with a time of 1:42.08.
• Boys 4×100 Relay: Jacob Daniels, Blake Connor, Dante Chuum and Jack Belcher; 8th place with a time of 0:49.06.
• Discus: Eli Myers, 129 feet, 9 inches; 3rd place.
• High Jump: Zach Westfall, 5 feet 4 inches; 8th place.
• Caleb Ramey: 5 feet, 2 inches; 13th place.
• Long Jump: Caleb Ramey, 15 feet, 11 inches; 13th place; Keegan Ballantyne, 15 feet, 6.5 inches; 18th Place; Zach Westfall, 15 feet, 1inch.
• Shot Put: Levi Facemeyer: 36 feet, 10.5 inches; 10th Place; Eli Myers, 34 feet, 15th place.
• Girls High Jump: Kaley Rammelsberg: tied for 6th with 4 feet, 10 inches; Kaley also competed in 100 hurdles, 0:17.83.
• Colbi Borland competed in the 800, 2:35.46; 13th Place.
• Boys 4 x 800 Relay: Levi Facemeyer, Dawson Brehm, Keegan Ballantyne, Dawson Moreland, 10 minutes, 20 seconds, 5th place.
• Boys 3200 Meter run (2 mile): Dawson Moreland, 11 minutes, 33 seconds; 5th place.
• Boys 4×400 Relay: Levi Facemyer, Jakob Daniels, Dawson Moreland, Dante Chuum, 4:10, 12th place.
• 110 Hurdles: Blake Conner, 19.09; 200 Hurdles, 0:29.75.
“We’re so very proud of all of our guys and girls,” Eckelbarger said. “We only had two girls compete in the meet, mainly because of commitments to club sports; and our eighth grade students returned from the Washington D.C. trip at 11 p.m. the night before the meet. We have a tough bunch of kids that have a really bright future.”
In addition to head coach Eckelbarger, Mike McGann is the middle school jumps coach (with assistance from Big Walnut High School jumps coach Mike Ryder), Kelly Robinson coaches distance, Amanda Reynolds hurdles and Barry Myers and Jay Curren throws.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU