Big Walnut school board member Brad Schneider had kudos for the Big Walnut High Baseball Team reaching the Division II Final Four recently.
“It’s fun to see how the high school baseball program engages kids in the community,” Schneider said. “Our team had great community support, and our athletes carried themselves very well in how they represented our community.”
Board member Allison Fagan added, “… it was nice to walk into Huntington Park and see a sea of red,” in the stands behind the home team dugout.
Board member Andy Wecker recognized members of the Big Walnut/DACC FFA Agricultural Issues Forum Team that placed first at state competition during the Ohio FFA Convention in April.
“By becoming state champions, the students have qualified to compete in the national contest this October in Louisville, Kentucky,” Wecker said.
The Big Walnut/DACC FFA Agricultural Issues Forum Team members are Gabby Adair, Harrison George, Meghann Hale, Troy Herrel and Lex Marvin.
Board president Mindy Meyer also noted the performance of the Big Walnut High School Track & Field Team that sent freshman Abe Myers to the OHSAA State Track & Field Meet, where Myers placed eighth in discus.
The Board also approved the following:
• Board members approved the following Big Walnut Local School fees for the 2014-15 school year: Crazy for Clay Eagle Extensions $50; X-treme Laboratory Eagle Extensions $40; Technology Experience Eagle Extensions $40; Art to Zoo Eagle Extensions $30.
• Board members approved the following handbooks for the 2015-16 school year: Preschool – 6th Grade, Middle School, High School, Athletic.
• Board members approved the Administrative Assistant job description.
• Board members approved a $500 stipend for Darin Prince, Mohican Coordinator, for the 2014-15 school year.
• Board members rescinded the following portion of motion 15-61: “It is recommended the Board approve a one-year contract for the following certified staff, effective the 2015/2016 school year:
• Megan Williamson, Second Grade Teacher, Hylen Souders Elementary School, BA 15 step 5.”
• Board members accepted the following resignations: Jeff Jones, Big Walnut High School, Principal, effective July 31, 2015; Bridgette Firstenberger, Big Walnut High School, Assistant Principal, effective July 31, 2015; Michael DeLaney, Big Walnut High School, Social Studies Teacher, effective July 31, 2015.
• Board members approved a one-year contract for the following certified staff for the 2015-16 school year: Brett Bartlett, Big Walnut Middle School, Math Teacher, BA step 5; Tara Lax, General Rosecrans Elementary, Interventional Specialist, BA step 3 (pending Ohio license approval); Amity Roebke, Big Walnut Intermediate School, Intervention Specialist, BA step 4; Ryan Balaz, Big Walnut Middle School, Language Arts Teacher, BA 30 step 0; Wendy Austin, Big Walnut Intermediate School, 6th Grade Math/Science Teacher, MA step 5; Rachel Middleman, Big Walnut Intermediate School, 6th Grade Language Arts/Social Studies Teacher, Masters step 0; Leah DiSabato, Harrison Street Elementary School, Kindergarten Teacher, MA step 5; Megan Gibson, Big Walnut High School, Comprehensive Science Teacher, BA 30 step 1; Lindsey Simmons, Hylen Souders Elementary School, 2nd Grade Teacher, MA 30 step 10; Stacye-Nicole Hamby, Big Walnut Middle School, Intervention Specialist, MA step 5; Kelly Rowe, Kindergarten, Hylen Souders Elementary School, BA step 0.
• Board members approved an athletic supplemental contract for Brett Bartlett, Head Boys Basketball Coach, group 1, step 3, effective the 2015-16 school year.
Board members also approved the following certified contracts:
• One-Year: Christy Bryant, Ric Cavicchia, Travis Church, Andrea Clark, Kristina Collins, Douglas Eckelbarger, Megan Everitt, Julia Ford, Katie Grijak, Stacey Hamilton, Beth Heizer, Awny Hemingway, Andrea Kavalieros, Angela Keller, Lauren Marter, Sarah Nealon, Cassandra Nigl, Stefanie Plowman, Darin Prince, Milea Sarap, Shea Spak, Benjamin Steele, Jennifer Valentik, Jenn Waszil, Elizabeth Yousey, Karlie Zak and Kelsie Zak.
• Two-Year: Jenny Ainsworth, Patricia Cooper, Joseph Evener, Lindsey Gunthorp, Jennilynn Haer, Amy Keep, Stephanie Pearlmutter, Rebecca Sliva and Jennifer Zimmer.
• Three-Year: Michael Adams, Mandy Bailey, Cynthia Barno, Karen Bodker, Ben Broschart, Savannah Brown, Carol Burchett, Sarah Cline, Barbara Dean, Ashley Dicken, Christine Doran, Rachel Estep, Laurel Fitch, Molly Fortune, Alan Frank, Katherine Graven, Melissa Hay, Julie Heitz, Zachary Hite, Carrie Knight, Penny Lacy, Ashley Longshore, Kevin Masterson, Brittany Moser, Eric Myers, Leah Peck, Amanda Reynolds, Kori Rigo, Jamie Roan, Charlie Rowley, Coreen Schull, Kari Thomas, Julie Tuel, Mary Wolf and Beth Zirillo.
• Continuing: Mark Adams, Elaine Blakley, Heidi Bridge, Erin Curtis, Melanie Gathers, Douglas Germann, Jody Grieger, Mary Mitton, Kelly Pentello and Brenda Schroeder.
• Board members approved the following Extended Service contracts for the 2015-16 school year: Jeanne Collett, Guidance Counselor, Big Walnut High School, 20 days; Stephanie Ruark, Guidance Counselor, Big Walnut High School, 20 days; Tammi Jordan, Guidance Counselor, Big Walnut High School, 20 days; Erin Curtis, Student Services Coordinator, 20 days; Ric Cavicchia, Guidance Counselor, Big Walnut Middle School, 10 days; Kristen Macklin Lanning, Media Specialist, Big Walnut High School, 10 days; Molly Fortune, Guidance Counselor, Big Walnut Intermediate School, 10 days;and Corry Schull, Guidance Counselor, Big Walnut Middle School, 10 days.
• Board members approved the following extended field trips: Ag Science Students, National FFA Convention, Louisville, Kentucky, October 27-31; Two Yearbook Students, Yearbook Camp, Heidelberg University, July 28-30; Varsity Volleyball Team, Camp, Nuhop, Ohio, August 22-23; Varsity Football Team, Camp, Ashland, Ohio, June 22 – 23; Girls Basketball Team, Camp, Findlay, Ohio, June 17-18; Girls Basketball Team, Camp, Wooster, Ohio, June 19-20; and Six Cheerleaders, Cheer Hawaii, June 24 – July 1.
• Board members accepted the following donations: $1,000 donated to Big Walnut High School Challenge Day, donated by the Sunbury Lions Club; $156 donated to Big Walnut Elementary, donated by Kathy Huff; $3,600 donated to Big Walnut Local School District, donated by Steve Mazzi ($1,000 BWHS Athletics 300-9500, $400 BWHS Band 300-9440, $400 BWHS Music 300-9470, $800 BWMS Athletic 300-9502, $300 BWMS Band 300-9442, $300 BWMS Music 300- 9472 and $400 Action for Healthy Kids 019-9214).
Board members will hold a special board meeting at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 30, in the Big Walnut Intermediate School Central Office Conference Room.
The next regularly-scheduled Big Walnut Local School District Board of Education meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, July 9, in the Big Walnut High School Media Center.
Board members will hold a Special Board Work Session at 4 p.m., Monday, July 27, in the Big Walnut Intermediate School Central Office Conference Room.